SuperMom...LOL!

SuperMom...LOL!

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chicken Sweet Chicken!

Today's dinner I prepared before I went to school and let it cook All Day in the Crockpot!  It only took me about 20 min to get it ready because I got all the ingredients and tools out last night.  I would have liked for the prep time to be shorter but at least I didn't have to stand in the kitchen and  cook it!  :)  We loved the chicken but apparently our family will have to save the sweet potatoes for the South.   I will probably make changes to this recipe much later on.  (see FYI Hints)  :o)

    Nonetheless,  Here is how you make it:

Chicken Sweet Potatoes: from Busy Cooks

     Ingredients:  8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, 1 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp paprika,
1 tsp curry powder, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed, 1 onion chopped,
1 cup of peach preserves or apricot preserves, 3 TBSP apple cider vinegar, 1 TBSP low-sodium
soy sauce, 1/2 cup of chicken broth, and 2 TBSP of cornstarch.  (For my family I had to leave out
the cayenne pepper & onion)
 
STEP 1:  Sprinkle chicken with mixture of salt, pepper, paprika, curry powder and ginger.  (I rubbed it
into the pieces.) 

STEP 2:  Spray Crockpot Stoneware with, you know me: "PAM" it!  Place the sweet potatoes and onion (remember I didn't use the onion) in a 3 1/2 quart crockpot
STEP 3:  Top with chicken.  Top the chicken with preserves, vinegar and soy sauce.

STEP 4:  Cover and cook for 6-8 hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked and sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
STEP 5:  Combine chicken broth and cornstarch and mix well.  Add to crockpot.  Cover
and cook on high for 10-15  minutes until sauce is thickened.

FYI HINTS:  I cooked our dinner for 10 hours knowing that I wouldn't be home until then and it came
out wonderfully!  I couldn't see putting all of that in a 3 qt as it almost came to the top of my 6 qt
crockpot.  I served it with Chicken Stovetop Stuffing so that I could use the rest of the Chicken
Broth from the can (FRUGAL!).
     So, changes to make...we LOVED the chicken and stuffing but not the sweet potatoes.  We are all for the canned sweet potatoes and I would probably cook this with the juice from the can, brown "sugar", and
butter.   I would probably have to shorten the time due to canned sweet potatoes or simply add them
about an hour before the recipe is done cooking.
     I'll play with it and let you know! 
But for now, Frugal Saucey Texas says, "DIG in!"

No comments:

Post a Comment